Facebook vs. Twitter

I was fortunate to be one of the first waves of Facebook when it first came out. I was sort of in the middle, not ever having a MySpace page, but hearing about Facebook and starting a profile. This was back in '04/'05 and I remember in college being in a bar and hearing people talk about Facebook. It was wild. You couldn't go anywhere without someone talking to you about Facebook. Don't get me wrong, I love Facebook, but when I recently discovered Twitter and started posting, I didn't see how anyone was comparing the 2 avenues of social media. Now that I have been Twittering for a few weeks I have realized the benefits of it. Let's take a look at a few of the main points I think are important about each and what I personally use them for:

Facebook

1. See what's going on in people's lives that you either haven't seen or talked to in awhile. You're able to do this passively by checking out their Profile. (This is also known as "Facebook Stalking", but I wouldn't go to the extreme of saying I "stalk" on Facebook). It's just good to see what folks are up that you haven't seen since high school or in years.
2. Get the word out about events. I like how you can set up an event and invite all your friends. This is the easiest way to send out to a mass list of people without taking the time to find email addresses and such.
3. Facebook has some good advertising tools that are very niched.

Twitter
1. Get great advice on business and life from a variety of people from all over the world.
2. Become friends with people who share common interests and "tweet" back and forth about current events and subjects.
3. It's much more involved. I might not check my profile on Facebook for days at a time, but sometimes I feel like if I don't have TweetDeck in the background of my computer I might miss something. (Much more addictive than Facebook).

This being said, I have found myself the past few weeks forgetting to check my Facebook profile and messages daily like I used to, because I am more involved in conversations on Twitter. There are a ton of great people on Twitter that offer some great insight can really help you out.

What is your opinion? Do you prefer Twitter or Facebook? Do you like one for personal use and one for business use? Do share, I look forward to hearing everyone's responses.

2 comments:

Carter Liveoak February 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

I had low expectations of Twitter initially and actually thought Facebook (and its ilk) would be the big win. I've now swapped, having experienced the same interconnectedness/conversation/info exchange tweetwise that you found and that aren't possible without wading through the increasingly expanding load o' stuff that Facebook drags into your life.

Carter

@MattWilsonTV February 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

I much prefer Twitter over FB. FB is just too personal to share with the entire world and most of your personal info is irrelevant to professional networking. You can easily find people to meet on Twitter who are into the same things you are b/c of what they say. On FB you can't get much info until you are friends!

Post a Comment